5S – Workplace Organization & Visual Control: The Pillars for a Visual and Safe Workplace
On-site Training (2 days) + Workshop (1 day)
Through this training for operators and for work teams, Exegens® can help you implement the 5S′s in your organization and get the immediate productivity increase, but also for safety at work and for personnel’s state of mind.
The 5S′s are the initials of five Japanese words (Seiri/ Sort, Seiton/ Set in order, Seiso/ Shine, Seiketsu/ Standardizing, Shitsuke/ Sustain).
The 5S′s are the main activity for business improvement. The 5S′s have been recognized as the basic technique for the strategies of the world class companies (World Class Manufacturing). The 5S′s are not just about cleanliness however; it is about the functional organisation of the workplace, so that work can be done in an efficient, safe and non-frustrating environment.
The visual control concept is complementary to the 5S technique, which helps to supporting the program standardization jobs, eliminating losses and increasing performance (KPI: PQCDSM or Productivity, Quality, Cost, Delivery, Safety and Morale/ Motivation).
Sort: Sort the things you do not need and those you need and keep at the workplace only things you need. Get rid of unnecessary items.
Set in order: Carefully arrange and identify the items you need. Find a place for each thing, so that anyone can find it. Ask for things to always be placed in the designated space.
Shine: Clean up. Allways maintain your workplace clean and shiny. Find why things are getting dirty.
Standardizing: Become an example for adhesion to the first 3S′s standards and encourage others to follow them. Make rules and procedures to promote a pleasant work environment until the first 3S′s become the second nature of everyone.
Sustain: Maintain and apply the first 4S′s. Become meticulous in preserving and putting things in order and cleaning.
Principles and targets to achieve through the implementation of a 5S program are: simplifying the work environment, reducing non-value-added activities, improving efficiency, reducing waste, improving quality, improving safety.
The summary of the training session:
1) Why do we need the 5S′s? 20 reactions of Romanian employees through 5S projects.
Introduction to the 5S′s. 5S vision, objectives and positionning in companies. Company organization and the 5S′s. Benefits of the 5S′s. Management preparation for a 5S program. Visual Control.
2) Brief description if the 5S′s;
3) Detailed description of the first 5S pillar: Sort (steps; sorting criteria for productive area, for offices and for warehouses; Red-Tag strategy in 6 steps; case study, etc.).
4) Detailed description of the second 5S pillar: Set in order (steps, color code, 17 ergonomics principles; arranging productive areas, offices (documents/ files) and warehouse; case study, etc.).
5) Detailed description of the third 5S pillar: Shine (15 urgent needs; 3 phases for cleaning the equipment; 5 cleaning steps; Example of inspections by cleaning points, etc.);
6) Detailed description of the forth 5S pillar: Standardizing (needs for standardization; 3 levels for maintaining the first 3S′s; Five-Minute 5S; detailed checklist; summary checklist for productive areas – 25 questions – and for offices – 25 questions; examples of standards – cleaning, lubrication, inspection, etc.).
7) Detailed description of the fifth 5S pillar: Discipline (15 needs; directions for discipline development; 5S sustaining strategies; visual management, etc.).
8) Conduct enterprise-wide 5S program (initial and system maintaining projects).
Discutions. Video Example.
Who should attend: managers, engineers, production supervizors, facilitators, team leaders, technical leaders, operators.